EPA Seeks Nominations for Federal Advisory Committee

November 21, 2019

The US EPA announced earlier this month that it will be reconstituting its Federal Advisory Committee on agricultural issues, and is asking for nominations for committee members. The Farm, Ranch, and Rural Communities Committee (FRRCC) will have 20 to 30 members who will provide “independent policy advice, information, and recommendations to EPA’s Administrator on a range of environmental issues and policies that are of importance to agriculture and rural communities.” Nominations must be submitted by December 31.  More information about the FRRCC and the nomination process is on the FRRCC website.  Participation in FRRCC will require attendance at two, two-day meetings a year and availability to volunteer “several hours per month to the committee’s activities.”  Please contact UEP if you are interested in being considered for this role.

In its announcement, EPA said “Members will be selected from a variety of relevant sectors. Members may represent allied industries and stakeholders including farm groups, rural suppliers, marketers, processors, academia/researchers, state, local, and tribal government, and nongovernmental organizations. In selecting committee members, EPA will consider qualifications such as: whether candidates are actively engaged in farming, hold leadership positions in ag-related organizations, possess a demonstrated ability to examine and analyze complicated environmental issues with objectivity and integrity, (and) have experience working on issues where building consensus is necessary.”

The FRRCC is a formal “Federal Advisory Committee” whose operations are governed by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA).  Any federal agency regularly seeking policy advice and counsel generally must do so in conformance with FACA, which provides guidelines for federal agencies to obtain advice on a wide range of issues in a manner that is open and transparent to the public. Members serve in a voluntary capacity. However, agencies may provide reimbursement for travel expenses associated with official government business.