February 23, 2023
Senate Agriculture Committee holds hearing on nutrition programs
On Feb. 16, the Senate Agriculture Committee held a hearing to discuss nutrition programs as it prepares for the upcoming farm bill. Members of both parties noted the importance of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and child nutrition. Republican members noted USDA updates to the Thrifty Food Plan drastically increased the costs of nutrition programs, raising concerns about the ability to pass a farm bill this year. There was bipartisan support to address the impacts of grocery inflation and support food banks.
House and Senate Agriculture Committees announce subcommittee leadership
On Feb. 17, both the House and Senate Agriculture Committees announced their subcommittee membership and leadership for the 118th Congress. Below are the top Democratic and Republican members for each subcommittee.
- Subcommittee on Commodities, Risk Management, and Trade: Chair Tina Smith (D-MN) and Ranking Member Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
- Subcommittee on Rural Development and Energy: Chair Pete Welch (D-VT) and Ranking Member Tommy Tuberville (R-AL)
- Subcommittee on Conservation, Climate, Forestry, and Natural Resources: Chair Michael Bennet (D-CO) and Ranking Member Roger Marshall (R-KS)
- Subcommittee on Food and Nutrition, Specialty Crops, Organics, and Research: Chair John Fetterman (D-PA) and Ranking Member Mike Braun (R-IN)
- Subcommittee on Livestock, Dairy, Poultry, Local Food Systems, and Food Safety and Security: Chair Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) and Ranking Member John Hoeven (R-ND)
- Subcommittee on General Farm Commodities, Risk Management, and Credit: Chairman Austin Scott (R-GA) and Ranking Member Shontel Brown (D-OH)
- Subcommittee on Forestry: Chairman Doug LaMalfa (R-CA) and Ranking Member Andrea Salinas (D-OR)
- Subcommittee on Conservation, Research, and Biotechnology: Chairman James Baird (R-IN) and Ranking Member Abigail Spanberger (D-VA)
- Subcommittee on Nutrition, Foreign Agriculture, and Horticulture: Chairman Brad Finstad (R-MN) and Ranking Member Jahana Hayes (D-CT)
- Subcommittee on Livestock, Dairy, and Poultry: Chairman Tracey Mann (R-KS) and Ranking Member Jim Costa (D-CA)
- Subcommittee on Commodity Markets, Digital Assets, and Rural Development: Chairman Dusty Johnson (R-SD) and Ranking Member Yadira Caraveo (D-CO)